Wednesday, February 15, 2012

REVIEW: The Drawing of the Three by Stephen King

book cover of The Drawing of the Three by Stephen King
Title: The Drawing of the Three
Author: Stephen King
Date Published: First published in 1987
Genre: Horror, Science Fiction, Fantasy
Page Count: 480 pages
Challenge: The Dark Tower Reading Challenge
Rating: 5 out of 5 stars

**WARNING. I try not to post spoilers, but if you haven't read the first book in the series, there are a few giveaways from the first book in this review. You can read my review of The Gunslinger here.**

Roland's back, and this time he's bringing a few friends along with him.

The second book in the series picks up where the first book left off. Roland has held palaver with the infamous man in black and has fallen asleep for what seems like many years. When he wakes, the man in black is nothing but a laughing skeleton and Roland continues his track towards to sea. When he gets there, close to death, he comes into contact with creatures that he dubs lobstrocities, and they do nothing but cause trouble. But Roland soon finds the first door and begins drawing the three that the man and black predicted and it turns out that those he's drawing will save him just as much as he is saving them.

This is by far one of my favorite books in the series. It is in this book that we're introduced to the main cast of characters that are in the series. I think Eddie is my favorite character in the series. He and I would get along pretty well I think. I also liked this book because we learn a little bit more about Roland. Not through his past experiences, but just through the way that he interacts with Eddie and the way that he handles certain things. He is such a cold character, but we see him open up just a tiny bit in this book.

There were so many quotes that I loved so much from this book.  I ended up flooding people on Tumblr with the quotes I liked, but I'll share this one with you.
A heartless creature is a loveless creature, and a loveless creature is a beast. To be a beast is perhaps bearable, although the man who has become one will surely pay hell’s own price in the end, but what if you should gain your object?….If there is naught but darkness in your heart, what could you do except degenerate from beat to monster? To gain one’s object as a beat would only be bitterly comic, like giving a magnifying glass to an elephaunt. But to gain one’s object as a monster…
To pay hell is one thing. But do you want to own it?
I love this series. This is a reread for me, but I found that there were several things from the last half of the book that I completely failed to remember, which was a good thing, because it made reading it more interesting for me. I have to give this book a 5 out of 5 stars.

Think you might want to give this book a try? Read other reviews or order from Amazon.com  The Drawing of the Three by Stephen King

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...