Saturday, February 4, 2012

REVIEW: The Help by Kathryn Stockett

book cover of The Help by Katherin Stockett
Title:  The Help
Author:  Kathryn Stockett
Date Published:  January 2009
Genre:  Historical Fiction, Southern Literature
Page Count:  423 pages
Challenge:  E-Book Challenge 2012
Rating: 5 out of 5 stars


Oh, this book.  With everything that I have going on, it usually takes me four or more days to get through a book, if I'm lucky.  I read this book in two, that's how much I enjoyed it.

This is a book with three separate voices that come together to tell one story.  Skeeter is a 22 year old want-to-be journalist, who's mother won't be happy until she's settled down and married.
Aibileen is a black maid raising her seventeenth white child after the death of her own son.
Minny is also a black maid who has a mouth on her that gets her into trouble, even if at times she means well.
What these three women have in common is that they want change.  And they want to create that change by taking part in a project that tells the stories of the help is rural Mississippi.  Skeeter is the writer, and Aibileen and Minny are just two of the voices that lend their stories to the book.

Oh my, I loved this book.  LOVED IT.  This is another one of those books that I'm kicking myself for waiting to read.
Stockett created such distinct personalities in the women in this book that you felt like you knew them.  The book switched perspectives in between the three women and you got to see what life was like on both sides of the fence in such a troubled time.
There were moments in this book where I was so mad at some of the things that happened and there was one part in particular where I started laughing out loud, which almost never happens to me when I read.  So, that's saying something.  You got the good and the bad with this story which I loved.  You got to see the good parts of being the help, but you got to see the extreme racism that these women dealt with as well.

This was a fantastic book.  The characters are really what made it.  I highly recommend this book to anyone and I can't wait to see the movie.  This is a definite 5 out of 5 stars.  


Think you might want to give this book a try? Read other reviews or order from Amazon.com   The Help

2 comments:

Shirley @ My Bookshelf said...

The Help was amazing! You pegged what resonates with all readers, and that is the distinct individuality of each character and how they influence the story. I loved the book and the movie too. The movie just reinforced my love of the book.

S.Leighanne @ Leighanne's Lit said...

I've heard the movie is fantastic, I think my best friend and I are going to rent and watch it soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...