Saturday, February 25, 2012

REVIEW: Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

book cover of mockingjay by suzanne collins
Title: Mockingjay (The Hunger Games #3)  
Author: Suzanne Collins
Date Published: August 2010
Genre: Dystopian, Young Adult
Page Count: 293 pages
Challenge: E-Book Challenge 2012
Rating: 5 out of 5 stars

So for me, Catching Fire ended on such a crappy note that I wanted to throw the book, but I couldn't because it was my Nook.  So, I was interested to see where Collins would take us in this book.

If you haven't read the book, don't read this.  I can't talk about the book without spoiling anything.  No major spoilers, but still.

Before I even started it, everyone kept telling me OH THERE'S SO MUCH DYING YOU'RE GOING TO CRY THE WHOLE TIME!  Negative.  While I really liked this series and there were some emotional parts, I'm not a crier.  
So I'm sure most people know the premise, so I won't waste space and talk about it here, but this is basically just the actual war between the Capitol and the rest of the districts while Katinss struggles to decide if she is going to continue to be the face of the rebellion. Lots of action packed craziness and epic battles.

Peeta.  That whole nonsense really did break my heart.  I was SO HAPPY when they got him back and shocked when I found out what they did to him.  I love Peeta so much.  People kept asking are you team Gale of team Peeta?  How can you be team Gale?  You hardly know anything about him, other than he feels some kind of way about Katniss and she's all confused about her feelings, but we know how amazingly sweet Peeta is.  Therefore, that question is invalid.  You have to be team Peeta.  Not to say I didn't like Gale, because I did.

I will say that this book really made me realize even more that I freaking HATE politics.  That's all this book was if you think about it.  Military strategies, figuring out what everyone's ulterior motives were, that's politics.  And I hate them.  This book showed you what power does to people, in all the death that's sprinkled throughout.  But I loved this book.

AND THE ENDING.  OH MY GOSH.  I said I'm not a crier?  Oh buddy, I cried.  Not the full on waterworks, but I shed some tears, for multiple reasons.

I loved this series, a lot.  I thought Katniss was prety kickass, even if I wanted to shake her a few times.  It was wonderfully written and a fantastic story.  I'm interested to see what they will do with the movies, but we'll see when those come out.  5 stars, hands down.

Think you might want to give this book a try? Read other reviews or order from Amazon.com   Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...