Friday, February 3, 2012

TGIF: Book Appeal

TGIF!  Everyone loves Friday right?  This is a feature hosted by Ginger at Greadsbooks.com.  Ginger posts a discussion question every Friday and provides a post where bloggers link their posts.  It's a fantastic way to get to know other bloggers!   Interested in participating?  Hop on over to Greads! feature page and learn more and see upcoming questions!

This Friday's Question:
Book Appeal: When you're browsing goodreads, the library, or another blogger's reviews, what grabs your attention to make you want to read it?


Blurbs are always really important to me when deciding if something sounds interesting.  That little summary, if done right can make me want to grab a book and read it right away.  Similarly, if the blurb doesn't grab me, I just might pass up a really, really good book.
Covers are also really important to me.  There have been several covers that have just make me not want to even pick the book up to see what the blurb on the back is.  I know there's the old saying, but I can't help it.  I'm a pretty visual person at times and if a cover doesn't grab me, I assume that the story may not either.

I pay attention to blogger reviews and star ratings on Goodreads, too.  I try not to base my decision off of just one review though.  If I see a book that interests me and then see a negative review, I go searching through to see what others thought, just in case that was the one bad review of the bunch.  The same goes for Goodreads.  If the star rating is mediocre, I make sure to go through the reviews to see exactly what everyone thinks.

For the most part though, if the blurb grabs my attention, I tend to pick it up.  I'm pretty picky about my genres, but have started expanding a little bit so there have been a lot of things to grab my attention lately!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...