Friday, February 24, 2012

TGIF: Required Reading

TGIF!  Everyone loves Friday right?  This is a feature hosted by Ginger at Greadsbooks.com.  Ginger posts a discussion question every Friday and provides a post where bloggers link their posts.  It's a fantastic way to get to know other bloggers!   Interested in participating?  Hop on over to Greads! feature page and learn more and see upcoming questions!

This Friday's Question:
Required Reading: Which book from your school days do you remember reading & enjoying? Is there a book published now that you'd like to see in today's curriculum for kids?


There were a few books that I was required to read in high school that I really loved.  I always hated that everyone moaned and groaned when it was time to read anything.  I only had to take an English course 3 out of my 4 years of high school, but I remember one book from each grade that I loved.

9th grade: A Separate Peace by John Knowles.  I remember that most of the kids in my class really hated this book, but then they also hated everything about the class, including the teacher, who I loved.  This was actually one of the first books that came to mind when I read today's question.

10th grade:  The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald.  OhmyGosh I love this book.  And this was actually a book that almost everyone that I knew enjoyed.  It really helped that my English teacher that was was SUPER fantastic and he made reading this FUN and I will never forget him for that.  This book will always stick with me because of how fantastic it is.

11th grade: Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe.  Though I couldn't pronounce most of the names in this book, let alone the author's name, I still really enjoyed the story, and it stuck with me, even if it was a sad one.  This is one of those books that when I see it in a bookstore, I always say "Oh, that was a really good book, I want to reread that someday."  Maybe one day I will.

Then of course, in college there were only a few books that I had to read and actually enjoyed.  I read Dracula for my English 102 class and loved it so much that I beasted a paper on it and made one of only 2 A's in the class.  
Then for my Non-Western Literature class, we read SO MANY GOOD BOOKS.  Scarlet Song by Mariama Ba (my review), Wild Ginger by Anchee Min (my review), and A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini (my review).  I seriously loved that class.

As for requirements for kids today?  There is a reason that I'm not in education, because I would never be able to pick the books that kids should read.  That's what we would spend the entire year doing, screw the curriculum ;]

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...