Friday, March 2, 2012

Progress and Why I Love Reading.

So I have my February Wrap up vlog and my March TBR vlog up.  But, I was just thinking about it, and I wanted to see how my progress this year compares with my progress last year.  This got me thinking about several other things as well.

As of right now, I've finished 16 books.  I honestly didn't think that I would have that many finished already, but not all of the books have been long and I've had more time than I thought I would.  Anyway, let's get to the stats for this year.

In 2012 (From 1/1/12 to 2/29/12)
I've read 16 books.
This equates to 5,338 pages
My goal for the year is 70 books, this puts me at 5 books ahead.
Out of the 16, 7 books are print, the other 9 are ebooks.

In 2011 (From 1/1/11 to 2/28/11)
I had read 9 books.
This equates to 4,619 pages.
At that time my goal was 50 books.  That put me roughly 1 book ahead.

So, according to those stats, I'm starting off this year SO MUCH BETTER than I started off last year.  Although, I will say that several of the books that I started last year with were really large, but I had also started a few of them back in 2010.

To me, the goals aren't so important.  Its not a contest or anything like that, though I do like to challenge myself.  I started this blog to keep up with what I had read and what I thought of the books, and it has evolved into something a little more than that.  I love reading, its one of my favorite things to do and it has been since I was a kid.  For a while, reading was starting to become less and less fun for me, because of the review requests that I had undertaken, which is why I stopped taking them.  I think that's one reason that I've been reading faster this year.  I'm reading only the things that I WANT to read, not what I feel like I HAVE to read, and that's a fantastic feeling.  It also helps that I graduated college in December and now have more time.
Basically, I'm proud of my progress so far.  As silly as that may sound.  Not being in college anymore, when I read like I do, I still feel like I'm learning.  I'm constantly learning new words, new ways to look at things, new facts that are inserted into works of fiction.  That's another thing I love about reading.  You never stop learning, even if you do read strictly fiction, or YA, or whatever.  People who think there's nothing left to learn are those that have the most to learn.

If you made it to the end of this post, thanks for that.  This post warped into something entirely different that what I had intended it to be.  Originally, it was just stats, but I started thinking, and here we are.

So, I want to turn it into a discussion.  Why do you love reading?  What are your favorite parts about getting lost in a good book and looking up hours later?  Discuss!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...