Friday, March 23, 2012

TGIF: Bookish Trends

TGIF!  Everyone loves Friday right?  This is a feature hosted by Ginger at Greadsbooks.com.  Ginger posts a discussion question every Friday and provides a post where bloggers link their posts.  It's a fantastic way to get to know other bloggers!   Interested in participating?  Hop on over to Greads! feature page and learn more and see upcoming questions!

This Friday's Question:
Bookish Trends: What are some bookish trends you are noticing in the literature world today? Is there a particular trend you'd like to see more of?


There are a few obvious trends that I've seen lately.  Things like werewolves, vampires, and things of that nature have been REALLY popular lately.  Which is a good and a bad thing.  Its a good thing if it is done right, but I would have to say that a lot of the books are not done right.  Its all recycled.  And these are just from the few that I've read, so I'm making a fast judgement.  

In YA especially I've seen a lot of that.  And mermaids.  And fairy tale retellings, but its always the same few fairy tales as well.  As far as that goes, I would love to see some different fairy tales retold.  Maybe something a little more obscure so that the original stories can be brought back to light.  It's just a thought.

In books in general, there's really been an insurgence in YA.  There wasn't much specific YA when I was a kid, so I started reading my mom's adult novels VERY young.  I was in 7th grade reading Danielle Steel and Stephen King.  Yeah.  So, I think that's been a fantastic thing and I hope that it continues so that more kids can discover that they love to read with books that are better suited for them.

And those are my thoughts on it.  What do you think?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...