Tuesday, April 3, 2012

REVIEW: Black Heart by Holly Black

book cover of Black Heart by Holly Black
Title: Black Heart (The Curse Workers #3)
Author: Holly Black
Date Published: April 3, 2012
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy
Page Count: 296 pages
Challenge: None
Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars

Black Heart is the third installment in the Curse Workers Trilogy.  If you haven't read the first two, you can read my review of White Cat and Red Glove to give you a better idea of the premise of the series.  Also, this might be kind of spoilery to the series as a whole, so you may not want to read past here if you're planning on reading the series.

Synopsis: Cassel Sharpe knows he’s been used as an assassin, but he’s trying to put all that behind him. He’s trying to be good, even though he grew up in a family of con artists and cheating comes as easily as breathing to him. He’s trying to do the right thing, even though the girl he loves is inextricably connected with crime. And he’s trying to convince himself that working for the Feds is smart, even though he’s been raised to believe the government is the enemy.
But with a mother on the lam, the girl he loves about to take her place in the Mob, and new secrets coming to light, the line between what’s right and what’s wrong becomes increasingly blurred. When the Feds ask Cassel to do the one thing he said he would never do again, he needs to sort out what’s a con and what’s truth. In a dangerous game and with his life on the line, Cassel may have to make his biggest gamble yet—this time on love.

My Thoughts:  So honestly, I felt that the second book dragged.  It just wasn't that exciting to me, I don't know, I just didn't like it as much as I did the first one.  This book totally picked up and made me love the series again.
One of the reasons that I love this series so much is because of Cassel.  He's dishonest and he knows it, he knows what he is, but he still desperately wants to be a better person and he's so hard on himself that it makes you feel bad for him, you want him to get the girl and live happily ever after, even if they just rob people all the time and never get caught, or something like that.  And he's also so incredibly smart, and you can tell.  He goes from running a small betting operation at school, to working with the feds and possibly a crime family.  He knows how to keep his head above water, which I think is fantastic.  I haven't read many YA books with a male POV in them, and this is a really good one.

I also love Black's writing and I was constantly marking pages so I could put the quotes up on my tumblr page.  One of them that I especially loved was this:
“A girl like that perfumes herself with ozone and metal filings. She wears trouble like a crown. If she ever falls in love, she’ll fall like a comet, burning the sky as she goes.”
I also loved the ending.  Honestly, there were several things that were left unresolved.  It was left open, like she might be able to write another book about Cassel, but I don't think that she would.  And really, I think that was the best way that she could have ended it.  It didn't leave you going "ONMYGOD TELL ME WHAT HAPPENED!!!"  It just sort of left you thinking "hmm..."

Overall, I loved this book, I loved this series, if you haven't read it, I highly suggest that you pick it up!  4.5 out of 5 stars!

I'd also like to thank Southern Book Bloggers for giving me the opportunity to read this book early and participate in the tour! :]

Other Blogger's Reviews:
The Starry-Eyed Revue
A Cupcake and a Latte
Gone With the Words

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...