Wednesday, April 4, 2012

REVIEW: The Waste Lands by Stephen King

book cover of The Waste Lands by Stephen King
Title: The Waste Lands (The Dark Tower #3)
Author: Stephen King
Date Published: First published in 1991
Genre: Horror, Fantasy
Page Count: 588 pages
Challenge: The Dark Tower Reading Challenge
Rating: 5 out of 5 stars

The third installment of the Dark Tower series.  You can read my reviews of The Gunslinger and The Drawing of the Three to learn more about the series.

Writing reviews of a book in a series is really hard, because you don't want to give anything away to those that haven't read it.  I will say that this one and The Drawing of the Three are two of my favorites in the entire series.  I absolutely loved it.

As with a lot of Sai King's books, this one is a little on the thicker side, but it really takes you no time at all to read it.  The plot goes quickly and is full of action from the beginning, though you do hit lulls in the action that allow for a little bit more character building.  In this book you really see Eddie and Susannah come into their own as gunslingers and Jake make his reappearance.  Of course the ending of this book, you're just thinking oh my gosh what's about to happen?!  I must go on to the next!
Of course, for those reading these as they came out, there was a six year gap in between the books, which makes me grateful that I read the series the first time after all of them were published.

I have to say, one of the reasons that I love this series so much is because of all of the connections that you find to other books that King has written, as well as the references to our world.  For example, you know that there was some sort of nuclear fallout in Lud, you know that there are elements of our world in theirs, but you don't know how they got there and you want to read on to see if you get any more clues about mid-world.

Basically, I love this book.  There are a lot of people that read The Gunslinger and can't go on to the rest of the series, but I BEG you to go on, it only gets better from there.  And of course, if you want to participate in the Dark Tower Reading Challenge, you can sign up at any time!

Other Blogger Reviews:
Adventures in Borkdom
ResoluteReader
Book Den

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...